Monday, September 29, 2008

First Blog Post

I started this blog to talk about politics, and here is why.


I used to go out to lunch with a good friend of mine about once a week. He and I would eat really bad food (all you can eat) and talk politics. Well, not so much politics as government policy. Although he leaned a little more left than I, I greatly appreciated what he had to say. What was valuable about his mentorship was his emphasis on finding the truth. Getting through all the partisan fluff to really finding out what the truth of the matter is. I didn't realize at the time how truly unique this line of thinking was.

I tried to establish a discussion on Senator Obama's convention speech at my office the morning after he spoke at Invesco Field. The guy I was talking to, though extremely friendly, immediately got cold when I mentioned politics. He said something along the lines of, "Hey, that's my guy. You aren't going to change my mind, I'm not going to change your mind, so let's just not go there." He managed to get all that out while walking backwards away from me, and before I had an opportunity to reply he was around the corner and out of sight.



My question is, if you're after the truth, aren't you always up for changing your mind?



Amazingly, party leaders on both sides have managed to convince us that our primary and most important identification is with our respective political parties. They know that when we identify ourselves with their label, we are no longer open to the truth of the matter: our only concern is with the position our side has and making sure it comes out victorious. As a result we internalize and personalize what should be left impersonal. Who cares if we begin life with one view on Social Security and finish life with another? Is there now shame in learning?



There was a time where I wouldn't argue with the identity of Republican. Nowadays, I firstly identify myself with Christ. Then Husband and parent (parent being a recent addition). Then Friend. American. And further down the list comes Conservative (notice, NOT Republican).



What I want to accomplish with this blog is a quest for the truth of the matter. Whether the issue at hand is abortion or taxes, getting through the political talking points and attacking the issue at its heart should always be the goal.



I named this blog The Gravy Train because I feel like all too often gravy is what we're peddled by our political leadership. We're promised this or that, and expected to jump on board motivated not by what is right but what is expedient and satisfies our carnal desires. Or what sounds good. Presidential elections quickly get out of hand with hyperbole and wild exaggerations replacing constructive reasoning. Each side promises different things, the only goal is trying to shove those promises down our throats faster than the other guy. It is my hope that with some serious questioning about the issues and ourselves, we can get off their Gravy Train. We desperately need to know why we believe what we do, beyond the fact that we read it some where or a politician spoke it.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like this blog is worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it - I can never find someone to talk politics with either!

    We should start a get away from your kids and talk about how politicians are ruining their future night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dan,
    That is awesome, I talk politics all the time with my sister. Even though we see things differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Cici's bad food at great prices! Thanks for sharing the link, Daniel. I agree with you about it being a gravy train!
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete